End of module 2 discussion

Number of replies: 6
Consider the following questions and share your response with your peers: 
  1. What do you know now about risk readiness and resilience that you hadn't considered before?
  2. How can you plan for risks in your own life to minimise the impacts of hazards on your life if and when they occur?
  3. Think about the Covid-19 pandemic as an example. What type of risk planning was probably not as well though out before that emergency but, is at the forefront of most businesses minds now?

In reply to First post

Re: End of module 2 discussion

by Michelle Gillman -
I have learnt a great deal about risk management from this course, especially in relation to the communities and the idea that details need to be population and area specific with the ability to be flexible and change to meet the needs of the events that arise, additionally the awareness that these events may change over time. We can prepare for a disaster with todays knowledge but that will not anticipate all the needs of the future.

To plan for the impacts on our own environment we need to have an awareness of the physical environment around us and prepare for situations that may arise; floods, earthquakes, tsunami, whereas I do not need to plan for a drought as I live next to a large free flowing river. We also need to be aware of the supplies we need to keep us safe and the local government initiatives to help us when these hazards occur. This awareness needs to be refreshed as our world changes.

COVID 19 this type of pandemic had not occurred as a world wide event in over 100yrs. No matter how much we thought an event like this may affect the world and our small part of it, we would never have thought of the real implications in everyday life and the far reaching connotations to everyone in our communities.
In theory the medical profession was prepared for a droplet transmitted virus but in reality they had not prepared enough nor thought about the possible numbers of patients and the lack of resources worldwide or the lack of vaccination uptake by some members of the community.
It is continuing to be a huge learning curve for all parts of our community from government right through to the individual who just wants to visit the supermarket.
In reply to First post

by Gary Fleming -
In my job within the oil and gas industry I have been exposed to culture of risk assessment, reduction of hazards and planning for emergencies. It has become part of the way I look at the world around me. I now need to consider the other hazards that are not so obvious and what there implications are.
Planning for risks in my own life need to consider how I can ensure my family and those around me can be more resilient. Making sure we are prepared to get by without help from the outside for a period of time. This is particularly important for me as in my voluntary role I could be called out in a major event leaving my family without my immediate help.
Nationally and personally I don't think we have truly understood the wider implications of a pandemic, how its not just avoiding getting sick, but also the implication of what other people being sick around us is having on things like the supply chains. Globally this has affected getting deliveries of goods all around the world causing shortages that impact on everyone. The same goes for how sick staff affect business ability to function.
In reply to First post

by Jade Badcock -
What I hadn't considered before:

I don't think I'd fully made the link about climate change, risk readiness and resilience. As a Scout leader, it's very easy to remind my Scouts about earthquakes, tsunamis and floods as hazards. We cover off fire - not so much as a natural hazard but during our camping activities.

Climate change is like watching an accident about to happen, but being just a bit too far away to do intervene! So the comment from the first module about taking an holistic approach takes on a greater importance (and a lot more logic) when looking at climate change.

Planning and minimising risk

Since the first COVID lockdown, I took the opportunity to work predominantly from home. This reduces me getting stuck in Wellington whilst my husband and son are in Lower Hutt where we live. Both my husband and son work and attend school in the Hutt.

We're a family of cyclists, so we're not reliant on public transport and can take routes that are unavailable to cars.

As a family, we're really aware of the natural hazards in Lower Hutt: earthquake, tsunami, bush fire, but it's that holistic approach concern, noting that some of our communities can quite quickly be cut off from access to food, clean water, if supply chains and roading cannot be re-established within 72 hours after an event.

There's that balance between having enough to get through versus stockpiling!

COVID-19

I think what was missing from the initial response (January to June 2020) was Te Tiriti o Waitangi, and the impact of the lockdown on Māori. On the one hand, Māori resilience may have been higher because the reliance on neighbours isn't just for emergencies. But, the closure of Marae as the coming together of the community in a central, single physical place probably undermined Māori, and Pacific peoples' resilience.

As noted from the New Orleans Hurricane Katrina, knowing that many Māori and Pacific peoples live in less economically affluent communities, would have increased disadvantage, inequity and distress.

I think for small and medium sized businesses that were unable to operate in Level 4, the lockdown possibly gave they time to work out how they could move their business onto an online/click and collect mode or platform. However, that business continuity plan wouldn't necessarily support other hazards - such as the long-term loss of electricity or power, or perhaps a cyber attack.

Now that vaccines to protect against the worst effects of COVID-19 are available, I think all sizes of businesses are working out the impacts of staff choosing not to vaccinate, with the implications of sick pay, staff cover etc.

I'm currently stuck in the UK (having travelled to attend a funeral), and the management of staff and vaccinations is beginning to play out. For example, Munich Football Club recently told its players that it wouldn't pay sick leave for COVID-19 if the player was unvaccinated.

Staff absence from the shop floor, and disrupted supply chains due to staff absences seem to be the big issue currently.

And of course, reduced takings are having a major impact on businesses. In England, especially, where no government ordered venue closures were called for, businesses cannot access financial assistance, or reduced VAT returns etc. So, the effect has been that the market (shoppers, hospitality patrons) have reduced or stopped their activity, leading to businesses having cashflow difficulties in meeting staffing and goods costs.

I think the Aotearoa model, whilst not perfect, does reflect a better partnership approach between Government and its citizens - especially the financial assistance.

Now if anyone can get me a pace in MIQ, I'd be hugely grateful!

Think about the Covid-19 pandemic as an example. What type of risk planning was probably not as well though out before that emergency but, is at the forefront of most businesses minds now?
In reply to Jade Badcock

by Jade Badcock -
Oh and whilst thinking about this further. I wonder how many business owners (again of all sizes) previously identified a health pandemic on their hazard and risk management register required under the Health and Safety at Work Act ?
In reply to First post

by Lisa McAuslan -
From my learnings in this course so far, I now know a lot more about how risk reduction can be managed through better planning. In my previous job managing land development, it sometimes seemed as if we were trying to meet the bare minimum of the hazard mitigation standards given, just to get a consent or development approved. I’ve been considering whether having better plans, standards and policies in place would provide better protection for the community as a whole in a high impact, low frequency event. I can certainly see the potential to greatly improve the land-use planning aspect of development to better protect against the risks we face.

To plan for risks in my own life, the first step is to consider what the likely risks I face are. For myself, there is a risk of being cut off from infrastructure, food and water supplies etc by flooding in a severe weather event. To minimise the impact of this hazard on my family and myself, I have planned ahead by storing clean water, having an additional food supply of long-lasting food in the pantry, having access to several torches and a lantern and a full BBQ gas tank.

In regard to Covid-19, most businesses in New Zealand will have added a pandemic section into their emergency response or health and safety documents. Nearly all businesses were caught off guard by the very sudden need for their employees to be capable of working from home – this was evidenced by the rush for people buying extra computer monitors, webcams and headsets, and upgrading their internet plans. An element of risk planning that businesses should consider now is how ready they are to have their employees working efficiently from home with little warning, and have processes in place to enable this. It is essential to business continuity, and a reassurance to employees also.
In reply to First post

by Bruce Vincent -
From my learnings in this course so far, I now know a lot more about how risk reduction and how it can be managed through better planning. I’ve been considering whether having better plans, standards and policies in place would provide better protection for the community as a whole in a high impact, low frequency event. Better community involvement in the planning for events and trying to get community members to be more self-reliant and resilient. Knowing who your neighbours are and what their skill set is could be a great advantage

To plan for risks in my own life, the first step is to consider what the likely risks I face are. For myself, there is a risk of being cut off from infrastructure, food and water supplies etc by flooding in a severe weather event. I also have been affected personally by the Canterbury Earthquakes, so am now very familiar with earthquake procedures. I also live near the coast in the south island so am directly in the tsunami zone To minimise the impact of these hazards on my family and myself, I have planned ahead by setting up an emergency kit including storing clean water, having an additional food supply of long-lasting food in the pantry, having access to several torches and a lantern and a full BBQ gas tank, own generator ,tarpaulins, ropes battery powered radio, 12v invertor, additional medications, solar charger for cell phone.

In regard to Covid-19, most businesses in New Zealand will have now added a pandemic section into their emergency response or health and safety documents. Nearly all businesses were caught off guard by the very sudden need for their employees to be capable of working from home – this was evidenced by the rush for people buying extra computer monitors, webcams and headsets, and upgrading their internet plans. An element of risk planning those businesses should consider now is how ready they are to have their employees working efficiently from home with little warning, and have processes in place to enable this. Businesses now need to plan on how to continue to function if up to 50% of their workforce is forced to stay at home to prevent spread of infection.